Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Ching Symbols: The I Ching is comprised of 64 situations, all derived from the combination of 2 lines, yang (whole) and yin (open). There are 4 combinations of the 2 lines. When the yin and yang lines are combined in sets of 3 they form the 8 trigrams (See chart below.) Each trigram is named for a force in nature and has other attributes associated with it. When the trigrams are combined in sets of 2 each they form the 64 possible combinations that form the hexagrams


                                     I Ching Prescriptions on Amazon
                                                I Ch i ng Sy mbols
 
The I Ching is comprised of 64 situations, all derived from the combination of 2 lines, yang (whole) and yi(open).

There are 4 combinations of the 2 lines. When the yin and yang lines are combined in sets of 3 they form the 8 trigrams (See chart below.) Each trigram is named for a force in nature and has other attributes associated with it. When the trigrams are combined in sets of 2 each they form the 64 possible combinations that form the hexagrams

The 8 images of nature that the I Ching is based on are: Heaven, Thunder, Water, Mountain, Earth, Wind/Wood, Fire and Lake. The images illustrating each of the trigrams on the following pages are from my work on interpreting the I Ching called, I Ching Meditations. I include them here to give a face to the 8 symbols of nature depicted for notation in the I Ching.


The origins of the I Ching pre-date literacy. We can not begin to imagine today what it was like to live in an environment that did not include the Internet, telephone, electricity you name it and be solely dependant upon nature. The people of prehistorical China had to have respect for and awe of nature that in many ways has been lost to our consciousness today. The ancient Chinese did not see themselves as separate from the environment in which they lived.








No comments:

Post a Comment